Strategic Public RelationsFACULTY
The faculty of the Master’s in Strategic Public Relations program represents a broad diversity of professionals and scholars in the public relations and political management fields.
Adjunct ProfessorView Full Bioof Ben Zingman
Adjunct ProfessorView Full Bioof Dr. Janis Teruggi Page
Adjunct ProfessorView Full Bioof Forrest W. Anderson
Adjunct ProfessorView Full Bioof Karen Vahouny
Associate Professor | Program Director, Master's in Strategic Public RelationsView Full Bioof Lawrence J. Parnell
Adjunct ProfessorView Full Bioof Marie Lerch
Adjunct ProfessorView Full Bioof Michelle Mermelstein
Adjunct ProfessorView Full Bioof Mike Fernandez
Adjunct ProfessorView Full Bioof Wilhelm Meierling
Adjunct ProfessorView Full Bioof Yanique Griffin-Woodall
Whether you work locally, nationally or internationally, GSPM’s online graduate programs can prepare you to succeed at the highest level.
The George Washington University (GW) is a private, coeducational, non-sectarian university located in Washington, D.C. Founded in 1821 as The Columbian College on land provided by former President George Washington, the University has since developed into a leading educational and research institution. The 43-acre campus, located in the city’s historic Foggy Bottom neighborhood, is situated a few blocks from the White House and the National Mall.In addition to 4,500 staff members, The George Washington University enrolls an even balance of undergraduate and graduate students; approximately 11,000 of the former and 12,500 of the latter.
The George Washington University, which celebrated its 185th anniversary in 2006, grew out of the desire of our Nation’s first President to establish a national institution of higher learning. When GW opened its doors in 1821 as The Columbian College in the District of Columbia, it boasted three faculty members, one tutor, and 30 students.
In 1904, the name of the institution was changed to The George Washington University. Today, the University’s enrollment totals more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in nine schools. With its location in the Nation’s Capital, the University has played host to numerous national and international dignitaries. In recent years, former Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev, former Israeli Foreign Minister Abba Eban, and both former President Clinton and former First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton have lectured or spoken at GW.
The debt of the University to George Washington is intangible, but clear. Both as president and private citizen, Washington believed the fledgling country urgently needed a national university where “youth from all parts of the United States” might go to be educated in the arts and sciences, and to study “the principles of politics and good government.” Washington believed the capital city, which at the time was centrally located, was the logical site for such an institution. To help cover its cost, Washington left a bequest of 50 shares of stock in the Potomac Company, a canal building enterprise. Unfortunately, the Potomac Company passed out of existence before the bequest could be realized. The effort was carried forward, however, by the Reverend Luther Rice and three friends. A tireless individual, Rice traveled from Tennessee to New England soliciting support for his idea. President James Monroe himself contributed to the cause, along with 32 members of Congress.
On February 9, 1821, President Monroe signed the Act of Congress creating Columbian College, a non-sectarian institution. In 1904, the institution was given its current name, and in 1912, it began the move to its present location in Foggy Bottom, the area George Washington had envisioned for his national university.
The George Washington University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE), which is recognized by the United States Secretary of Education as one of the six regional accrediting bodies for private schools, colleges, and universities. The MSCHE conducts accreditation and pre-accreditation activities for institutions of higher education in Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, including distance education and correspondence education programs offered at those institutions.
The Commission has been a unit of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA) since its origin in 1919. In March of 2013, the Commission formally incorporated within the state of Pennsylvania as the Mid-Atlantic Region Commission on Higher Education and maintains an ongoing relationship with the MSA.
More information about the Commission can be accessed on their website: http://www.msche.org/